BOSTON — That was the response from Blue Jays manager John Gibbons this afternoon, when asked how happy he was to be beyond the season’s first month. Here’s a quick glance at the April that was:
- Went 11-17 in April, marking the club’s first losing April since it went 7-15 in ’04
- Finished April in fifth place in the East, the first time that’s happened since ’04
- Own a .423 winning percentage since 2002 in March/April, the third worst mark in the AL
- Rank 14th in the AL with a .211 average with runners in scoring position, the worst such mark in club history for the opening month
- Boast a .250 team average for April (12th in the AL), lowest in April by the Jays since 1998
- With a loss on Thursday, the Jays’ 1-8 record on their current trip would represent the worst road trip of more than six games in team history
- Played 10 one-run games in April, tied for the most in the AL. Went 2-8 in those games.
Here’s hoping May goes a little better for the Blue Jays. One area the team did do well was pitching, posting a 3.75 ERA as a staff in April. That ERA is the best in April by the Jays since 2001.
Some minor items today: Gibbons stacked the lineup with right-handers to face Red Sox knuckleballer Tim Wakefield. Marco Scutaro was at first base and Shannon Stewart in left. The only lefty in the lineup was Matt Stairs, but the way he’s hitting lately, you can’t keep him out.
Gibby also noted that he plans on using the DH spot to help slide guys in and out to provide days off every now and then (“I think it helps the team.”). You might see that this weekend with Scott Rolen, though Gibbons noted he may just give Rolen a complete day off. “I’m not going to kill him right out of the gates,” Gibbons said.
TORONTO (11-17) at BOSTON (17-12)
at 7:05 p.m. ET at Fenway Park
Alex Rios, RF
David Eckstein, SS
Scott Rolen, 3B
Matt Stairs, DH
Vernon Wells, CF
Aaron Hill, 2B
Shannon Stewart, LF
Rod Barajas, C
Marco Scutaro, 1B
PITCHING: RHP A.J. Burnett
Dustin Pedroia, 2B
Kevin Youkilis, 1B
David Ortiz, DH
Manny Ramirez, LF
Mike Lowell, 3B
Brandon Moss, RF
Coco Crisp, CF
Jed Lowrie, SS
Kevin Cash, C
PITCHING: RHP Tim Wakefield